- What day is trash collection?
- Due to the size of the City of Winston-Salem there is no one set day for trash collection for the whole city. Instead, each homeowner is provided with a trash collection day when they register for service. If a citizen is unsure what their day may be, City Link will research the information in the Sanitation notebooks to determine the correct day. A map is available with collection routes. Look up all your collection days with the Sanitation Service Finder online.
- Is there a separate city pick-up for recyclable items?
- Yes. City recycling is outsourced to Waste Management who is responsible for recycling pick-up. Your recycling should be at the curb no later than 6:00 a.m. on the day of scheduled pick-up. If you need to determine your pick-up date you should contact the Recycling Hotline at 723-2784. Look up all your collection days with the Sanitation Service Finder online
- Where is the nearest recycle drop-off?
- The City of Winston-Salem has 3 separate recycling centers in addition to home pick-up services. Centers are open Tuesday - Saturday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Hanes Mill Road Landfill, 325 Hanes Mill Road - The Landfill is open Monday-Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to Noon. (336) 661-4900. 52 N to Hanes Mill Road Exit, turn right and go across the bridge; the Landfill is located on the right.
Forsyth Co. Center #1 - 445 Lindsay St., Kernersville (near the Public Works Dept.).(336) 723-2784.
Forsyth Co. Center #2 - 6328 Yadkinville Rd., Pfafftown (beside Vienna Volunteer Dept). (336) 723-2784.
- Where is the city landfill and when is it open?
- The City of Winston-Salem maintains three separate landfills for the citizens and businesses. Additionally, there is also the 3RC Enviro-Station. See the Solid Waste page for more information.
- Hanes Mill Road Sanitary Landfill: Travel US 52 N. to Hanes Mill exit; Turn right and proceed over the bridge. Landfill is on the right after crossing US 52.
- Old Salisbury Road Demolition Landfill: Take US 52 S. to Clemmonsville Road exit; Turn right and travel to #150; proceed south on #150 approximately 3 miles to the intersection of Hickory Tree and Old Salisbury roads; turn right; go 2/10 mile to site on left.
- Overdale Yard Waste Facility: Take US 52 S. to Clemmonsville Road Exit; Turn left onto Clemmonsville Road; Right onto Southdale; Follow signs showing landfill on the left.
- 3RC Enviro-Station: From Highway 52 North and South, take the Stadium Drive exit. Turn left onto Stadium Drive. At the first intersection, turn right onto Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive. Travel approximately 1/2 mile and the facility is on the left across from Bowman Gray Stadium and the Hertz Rental Company. 3RC information
- What is the holiday schedule observed by the city?
- What are the office hours for the city departments?
- While there is some flexibility around departments opening and closing times, the departments are ordinarily open from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m..
Remember, for all non-emergency situations please call:
Use the following links for more answers to any other questions you may have:
Recycling in Winston-Salem
Leaf Collection in Winston-Salem
Landfills and Hazardous Waste
Bulky item collection begins in March and continues through August.