The following types of businesses will need to renew or apply for a City of Winston-Salem Privilege License:
- Beer and Wine sales
- Door-to-Door Solicitor
- Fortune Teller
- Tattoo Artist
- Beer on Premise - $15
- Beer off Premise - $5
- Wine on Premise - $15
- Wine off Premise - $10
- Wholesale Beer - $37.50
- Wholesale Wine - $37.50
- Taxicab - $15/vehicle
- Panhandler - No Fee
- Door-to-Door Solicitor - $25
- Pawnbroker - No Fee, $5,000 Surety Bond Required
- Fortune Teller - No Fee, $1,000 Cash Bond Required
- Tattoo Artist - No Fee, $1,000 Cash Bond Required
If you have any questions, please contact our Business License staff at 336-747-6954 for assistance.
- NC Dept of Revenue sales/use tax identification numbers. Call (336) 661-6800
- Businesses selling alcoholic beverages need to obtain certain licenses/permits through the ABC Commission before applying for a City of Winston-Salem license. Visit two locations in Winston-Salem: 2301 N. Patterson Ave.
(336) 761-2246 or 3127 Starlight Drive (336) 788-7141.
- A business that may have to meet health regulations should contact the Environmental Health Division at (336) 703-3225.
- A business that has three or more individuals working for it should contact the NC Industrial Commission at (919) 733-4820 concerning workers' compensation.
Finance Department Business License staff page