Winston-Salem Smoke Alarm Program
Almost one in every five fires occurs in a building without a working smoke alarm. Most fatal fires occur at night, when you and your family are asleep. Smoke alarms are designed to wake you up (with a loud noise) if a fire starts. Smoke alarms save lives, but only if they are installed and properly working and maintained!
Winston-Salem housing code requires smoke alarms in all bedrooms and sleeping areas, and on every level of a house.
- Test your alarm monthly.
- Change the batteries twice a year, when you change your clocks.
- Replace the smoke alarm every 10 years.
The Winston-Salem Smoke Alarm Program will install free smoke alarms for qualified residents in an effort to reduce fatal fires in Winston-Salem.
- Elderly, on fixed income, or handicapped.
- Live inside the Winston-Salem city limits
- You will also need a photo ID and an electric bill or water bill in the resident's name.
Contact the Fire Department's Senior Community Educator at 773-7965 to apply or for more information, or call City Link at 311 or 727-8000.
Flier with details and to print [pdf/1p]
Winston-Salem Fire Department participates in "Heat and Eat" program to promote safety